[Coco] Novel Commercial Uses of the Coco

John Donaldson johnadonaldson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 21:51:34 EDT 2011

There use to be an aviation unit that went into a plane that would
display weather radar using semigraphic mode. I got a chance to look
into the electronics and found it really was a repackaged COCO2. It was
repackaged into two boards, stacked one on top of the other. The reason
I knew it was a repackaged COCO2 was the VDG chip was the one with
lowercase built in and it had the Advance Basic ROM, alone with another
ROM. It would listen to a sub channel of FM broadcast stations. The sub
channel broadcasted a signal similar to a SSTV signal. The signal was
decoded and displayed onto a 3" color screen using SemiGraphics. I
looked up the codes that were printed on the Advance ROM chip and the
number matched the number that Tandy used for the Basic ROM chip.

John Donaldson