[Coco] OT: Cheap controller chips

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Fri Sep 30 11:49:46 EDT 2011

Hi Frank,

I too look at the 8 core Propeller chip and found it a bit of work to
get up and running.  At the time, there was no free BASIC compiler.
(Just a free C compiler.)  There was also a bit of weirdness with the
I/O ports because of the 8 cores.  This kept me jumping on the Propeller
chip back then.

The PICAXE uses a BASIC that is very much like Basic Stamp.  (Easy to
use.)  You can run two task at once.  (Just like having two cores.)
Build in PWM, timers ADC and servo controller hardware.  Yes, I said
hardware.  The PWM and Servos commands start the operation for the
hardware to drive (and refresh) the timing to the lines. (Nice.)  The
chips can run at 32 Mhz.

For what I doing with my Halloween display, PICAXE has worked out well
because of its low price and ease of coding.

Frank, thanks for you input on this subject.

Steve