[Coco] OT: Cheap controller chips

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:09:33 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Very cool and thanks for the info and link. Just a month ago I bought into
> the Parallax (maker of basic stamp) Propeller. It's a nifty little
> microcontroller
> with 32 I/O pins (4 dedicated during startupt but general purpose after
> that) 8 cores
> all running at 80Mhz and is available for $7.99 in single quantities.
>  After I spend
> sometime with it I'll be taking a look at the picax.
>
> For now though I have a couple of projects that I'm working on that will is
> being built
> around the propeller which is taking up all my "puttering" time.
>
> The Other Frank

The Propeller is a very cool chip.

One of my other hobbies used to be animated Christmas lighting. The
controller I used, the
Helix<http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Helix>,
was based on the Propeller and could control a virtually unlimited number of
channels.

--
Ohioan by birth, Floridian by the grace of U-Haul and a bad economy...
--------