[Coco] Was this advertisement "true"...?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Sep 28 11:17:25 EDT 2011

Thank you all for your replies; I was hoping my understanding wasn't
faulty. I started as a kid with a CoCo 2 w/ 16k and ECB in 1984, so
those earlier machines were "unknown" to me (though I did later
encounter the gray-cased machines in the 8th grade - one of my teachers
had a couple in the classroom).

It seems weird that Commodore would claim Microsoft Basic being included
on the VIC-20, then put a string of CBMBASIC in the ROM? It's also
crummy that they would claim the whole "BASIC costs extra" on the CoCo -
when that was for a ROM to make the -included- BASIC even better (to
give it the high-resolution graphics commands, among others). Color
BASIC was already a more "powerful" BASIC than the VIC-20's by including
the low-res graphics commands...

Ah well, history and lies - they both seem to go hand-in-hand,
especially when combined with marketing...

:)

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona