[Coco] How can you make permanent directory changes in OS-9 mlprograms?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Sep 5 08:28:13 EDT 2011

Bob Devries wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> from the command line you would use:
>
> EX YOURPROG
>
> which kills the parent process (shell). Is there a way to kill the parent
> process from within a child process?
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

Hi Bob,

That works well. I can't find a method to get rid of the parent process while
running my program. Sending a signal of $00 will kill the parent but leaves it
as a dead process. There is no way to send EX to the parent to make it kill
itself. If there is a method for clearing out the DEAD process, it must be just
as difficult as the route Boisy mentioned for changing paths in the parent.

As a compromise, I've made my program print the message that it will generate an
extra shell unless the syntax 'ex myprog' is used. Then it says "hit ESC to
break" and continues where it waits for user input.
That gives the user the opportunity to restart with the optimum syntax or live
with the extra shell.