[Coco] OT: Battery chargers

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Oct 16 11:11:48 EDT 2011

On Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:49:08 AM Tony Schountz did opine:

> On Oct 16, 2011, at 5:33 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 16, 2011 06:43:04 AM Stephen H. Fischer did opine:
> >> http://www.all-battery.com/smartuniversalchargerfornimhnicdbatterypac
> >> k-1 2withchargingcurrentselectiontemperaturesensor.aspx
> >>
> >> Might work, but 1400 x 8 = 11200.
> >
> > This charger should, set at 1 amp, do the job nicely in under two
> > hours. Its method resembles the Christy chargers, so I would assume
> > the patent has now expired, or that its an under the radar patent
> > violation.
>
> So the above charger link ("Tenergy Smart Universal Charger for
> NiMH/NiCD Battery Packs: 6v - 12v") should do the job for my pack? If
> so, I'll buy it.

Actually, at that price, I'd buy 2, to make sure one worked.  ;-)  Similar
to my recent purchases of 5 stepper motor driver packages at $51 ea.
Chinese of course. Amazingly, the first 4 I hooked up are working fine.

2 years ago, to get that technology in a microstepping driver, I would have
spent $150 an axis and each would have had to have its own cooling fan.

Because of conductive swarf flying around a milling machine, I put these in
a small box of about 1/2 cu foot that is made of heavy alu plate and
moderately well sealed, along with the PSU and a 6" rotron fan to circulate
rather violently, the air inside the box so the whole box gets warm.  And
that it does.  I have yet to permanently mount a fan to cool the outside of
the box but its been on as long as 5 hours so far with no real overheating
problems.  But it is warm enough to effect the life of the electrolytics in
it, so by next summer I'd better have the outside fan installed.  Power in
the box is at least 375 watts.  Main motor power is 28 volts at 12.5 amps.