[Coco] OT: Battery chargers

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Oct 15 18:09:35 EDT 2011

On Saturday, October 15, 2011 06:01:52 PM Tony Schountz did opine:

> Thanks much for the replies Gene and JP. Here's the charger:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355042

No where near smart enough to charge an NiMh battery correctly.  No thermal
controls, possible a flat top detector though, meaning that it expects the
voltage to rise slowly, and shuts off when the voltage no longer rises
between sample periods.

> I have 9V connector with wires from the charger to the battery pack.
> Here are the cells that are in the pack:
>
> http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/assembly-cells/nimh/2-3a/2-3a-rechargea
> ble-battery-1400mah-nimh-1-2v-ft-w-tabs

Doesn't look too bad, but never heard of that brand name.  Tadiran or
Panasonic likely a better battery.

> There are 8 in the pack, which looks like this:
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44660-REG/Rollei_66251_Nicad_Batte
> ry.html

$169 ea?  That is about a 1000% markup.
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

There are some controller chips about that are smart enough to autodetect
the battery chemistry and act accordingly, but I doubt a $27 charger would
sport one of those.

I would be tempted to repack the box with nicads, and find someone to
repair your OEM charger, that could give you better results in the long
run.