[Coco] OT: Battery chargers

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Sat Oct 15 14:28:33 EDT 2011

On Oct. 15, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Tony Schountz wrote:

> ...So I thought I could put 1400 mAh NiMH cells in it and use my
> PowerEX 9V "smart" charger (which puts out 11V at 200 mAh). When I
> connect the battery to the charger it takes about 7 hours to fully
> charge (charger light turns green), which is about what it should be
> based upon its mAh output and the mAh of the batteries. However, if
> I don't even use the camera, the cells deplete in about 2 weeks,
> such that I need to recharge the pack.

My first guess is that you are not using 9V NiMH batteries with a low
self-discharge rate, like these:

<http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=433>

Standard (i.e. older) NiMH have a nasty habit of discharging over
time.  I found that my older PowerEX 1.5V NiMH cells would be close to
depleted after sitting around unused for one month after being fully
charged.

Also, a 9V battery is a pretty small physical package for the given
amount of voltage.  (Just think about the size taken up by six AA
batteries which, in series, could also provide 9V.)  So I wouldn't
expect 9V batteries to last very long before they are depleted of
charge.

-- JP