[Coco] demo video of some CoCoBoot tricks

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:53:17 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 13, 2011 01:16:10 PM Aaron Wolfe did opine:
>
> > I'm working on a very easy to use interface to some of the things
> > cocoboot can do, here are some examples.  Sorry for the poor video
> > quality, but I think the screen can be read ok at least.  The cocoboot
> > logo does not actually pulse strangely in real life :)
>
> That is the combination of very fast phosphers in the crt, and the cameras
> shutter speed, the 60 fields/sec are about .5 a field per sec out of time.
> The human eye blends that to near invisibility, the camera does not.
>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBN-zmstB4
>
> VERY Impressive Aaron.
>
> I haven't had a chance to grab the new dw4.jar yet, but I do have a
> question about the previous one.  I have the printertype set to text, with
> no mention of the FX80 mode, but the startup trace on my screen lists both.
>
> Can I get rid of the FX80 setting by also removing the PrinterCharacterFile
> line from config.xml?

If you mean these lines:

13:32:56,244: [dwproto-0-10  ] Print driver TEXT loaded
13:32:56,244: [dwproto-0-10  ] Print driver FX80 loaded

in the logs, I don't think there is any way to make those lines go away.
 The print driver modules are announced as they are found in the .jar,
nothing to do with actually being used for anything.  You can certainly
remove the PrinterCharacterFile setting but I don't think it will have an
effect other than to ensure the fx80 module won't work if it gets a print
job.  Basically the drivers sit dormant until a print job is sent from the
coco, then the server looks at the current settings, creates an instance of
the desired printer type, and hands it the job to print.  Since you can
change drivers at any time as DW is running, they all (or both, so far) have
to be known to the server even if not actually used.   When dormant I
imagine they are using only a few kb at worst.