[Coco] Arduino question

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Oct 2 22:27:28 EDT 2011

Gene, the Arduino is AVR, as others have mentioned.  Someone on this
list mentioned the Raspberry Pi board as a possible Drivewire server.
It is a small ARM-based computer that is intended to sell for $25 @128M,
$35 @256M (RAM) and is supposed to be available by the end of the year.
Maybe that' the ARM device you were thinking of.  It can already boot
Debian and other Linux distros, and I believe they're working on
customized versions that play nice with its relatively modest specs.
I'll definitely be getting one or two when they become available.

As for using them as a Drivewire server (which would be absolutely
fantastic, and unbeatable when you look at the intersection of price,
size, and power consumption (about 1W)) I think the only hitch is that
the Open Source Java runtime environments available for ARM might not
quite be suitable for the DW4 server.  I seem to have vague memories of
being unable to get DW4 running under (x86) Ubuntu until I installed
that bad old proprietary JRE -- though I may be confusing that with
something else....  But maybe Aaron could help find a way to make it work.

JCE