[Coco] Arduino question

Mark Ormond markormond at mtxsystems.com
Sun Oct 2 16:31:15 EDT 2011

Arduino is actually based off the Atmel AVR line. The standard is a MEGA8 and there is a MEGA version based on the ATmega2560.
There is talk of making a ARM based board that will work with some of the shields. The Ethernet is actually based on the Wiznet 5100 series chip that
Has the entire ip stack in the chip.

Here are the features of the wiznet.

Support Hardwired TCP/IP Protocols : TCP, UDP, ICMP, IPv4 ARP, IGMP, PPPoE, Ethernet
 10BaseT/100BaseTX Ethernet PHY embedded
Support Auto Negotiation (Full-duplex and half duplex)
Support Auto MDI/MDIX
Support ADSL connection (with support PPPoE Protocol with PAP/CHAP Authentication
 mode)
Supports 4 independent sockets simultaneously
Not support IP Fragmentation
Internal 16Kbytes Memory for Tx/Rx Buffers
0.18 μm CMOS technology
3.3V operation with 5V I/O signal tolerance
Small 80 Pin LQFP Package
Lead-Free Package
Support Serial Peripheral Interface(SPI MODE 0)
Multi-function LED outputs (TX, RX, Full/Half duplex, Collision, Link, Speed)

So the arduino libs make it easier to use, but the real Ethernet magic is in the wiznet.