[Coco] What do you use your CoCo for? (was: Games that don't fit floppies)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Nov 17 09:52:06 EST 2011

On 11/16/2011 11:01 AM, Paulo Lindoso wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a newbie here in the list.  I have used my CoCo (first the Brazilian
> Clone, then a Tandy CoCo3) throughout my 80s to do mostly everything a
> (then-)teenager could do with a computer: gaming, wordprocessing (school
> work).  I have also use it extensively as a hobby since I was studying
> electronics.  Eventually, I went to university, the PC era began and my
> CoCo3 was stored in the attic.
>
> Recently, I have dusted it up and found out (to my amazement) that it still
> worked (had to fix the keyboard mylar, but apart from that perfect) and I
> found myself a new hobby and hopefully - with the list - some new friends.
>
> To be honest, I was amazed to see what has been done to this 8-bit computer.
>
> As for me, I have recently bought a SuperIDE (Mark is "baking" it... should
> arrive in time fro Christmas!) and my main point of interest is using the
> CoCo for small HW/SW hobbies.
>
> As such, it seems to me that (1) I need something to exchange files to and
> from my Mac (S-IDE seems to do the job via CFs); (2) I need some
> quick/practical way to extend ROMs and (2) I need as much access to the
> extension interface as possible.

Hi Paulo,

To transfer files, I think you should look into Drivewire:
https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/beta
And to move individual files to and from disk image files, you should
download Toolshed:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/toolshed/files/

Since Drivewire uses the bit-banger port, it doesn't need the expansion
bus for I/O purposes.  If you use an HDB-DOS ROM, you'll need a ROM PAK,
or disk controller, but you can actually load the Drivewire client over
the cassette port from your Mac's audio out, leaving your expansion bus
completely free.  Or if you're making your own hardware, you can just
put an HDB-DOS ROM on that.

JCE