[Coco] Super IDE vs. Drive Pak

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 16 23:29:29 EST 2011

Hi Mark,

I did buy a SD-> IDE interface adapter, but it turned out to use a 5V
flash ROM. 5V would be fine for the CoCo but you really need a 3.3V
interface for use with an FPGA. The spec sheet for the controller on the
adapter seemed to indicate it could run off 5v down to 3.3V. It would be
a matter of unsoldering the 5V volt flash ROM, reading it and putting
the code in a pin compatible 3.3V Flash ROM. The flash ROM was something
like a 29010 and it was in a 32 pin (?) PLCC package and was soldered
directly to the board rather than being socketed which would have made
it easier to replace. I would imagine that the 3.3V flash ROM would have
a different programming algorithm, so you'd have to be sure that the
controller software didn't re-write any flash sectors for any reason.

The XESS XuLA FPGA board  has a PIC 18F14K50 micro with a miniature USB
connector on it that allows the FPGA bit map to be downloaded via USB. I
would imagine Microchip had some sort of software development package
for writing drivers for the USB connection on the PC. You would also
need some sort of USB protocol stack for the Microchip PIC chip.

http://xess.com/prods/prod048.php

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au