[Coco] Super IDE vs. Drive Pak

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 16 21:58:01 EST 2011

Hi Mark,

I was going to reply last night but it was going on 3.30am. Unsoldering
a 100 pin TQF package sounds like a pain. I have been tempted to use
some of the Xilinx XC95108 CPLDs in some projects. They come in 84 pin
PLCC packages, which means you can use PLCC plate through sockets for them.

I don't think my eye sight, these days, is good enough for soldering SMD
components, although I'm told it's not that hard, or expensive to buy
the equipment such as a heat gun to do it and I'm told the components
tend to self centre when the solder paste wicks onto the leads. BGAs
(ball grid arrays) on the other hand,  require X-ray inspection,
although I suppose for home use you might get by cooking them in a
toaster oven. An illuminated magnifier helps you see the components on
the board a bit better so i guess there are ways of getting around most
of the problems. I have a few amateur radio projects I'd like to build
that use SMD components such as a AD9850 DDS (direct digital synthesis
chip).

2003/2004 was about the time I was using CF cards with my FPGA 6809
system. The IDE interface is much easier to understand than SD & SDHC.
May be there are some Linux drivers or app notes around to better
explain how to access the registers.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au