[Coco] Super IDE vs. Drive Pak

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Nov 16 19:14:56 EST 2011

I am probably the most knowledgeable authority on this, having sold
Extended ADOS-3, which requires a 16K EPROM, for some years.

The mere fact of its requiring a 16K EPROM caused essentially no problems.
After all, it was for a CoCo 3, which runs in the all-RAM mode practically
all the time, reserving the space above Disk Basic for Super Extended
Basic.  Only time it caused a problem was with one graphics program
(Colormax??) that did something weird with MMU switching, and the
incompatibility was easily fixable with a poke or 2.  (It wouldn't even run
under standard Disk Basic unless the 16K EPROM contained Disk Basic in both
8K banks, as I recall.  Drove me crazy looking for an incompatibility with
Ext. ADOS-3 specifically, before I discovered that the problem was just the
size of the EPROM in the controller.)

As far as the RS controllers, the FD-502 requires a trivial mod to accept a
16K EPROM, and the others can be fitted with an adapter.  (Sold a lot of
those adapters!)
Art