[Coco] Super IDE vs. Drive Pak

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:20:46 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Mark Marlette
<mmarlette at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> Good thread!
>
> Input has been gathered and we will be making some changes at Cloud-9 on the SuperIDE product based upon this great feedback. More to follow on that.
>
> Just want to clear this misconception. The SuperIDE DOES NOT have a size limit other than the CF spec itself. If you want to plug a 64GB CF, do so. The limitations are placed upon it are by NitrOS-9 and or HDB-DOS. This is a 24bit LSN, which is a bit over 4GB, IIRC. So is it practical to have a 4, 8, 16, 32,64GB CF on the CoCo? No, but if you want to you can.

sorry!  i knew there was some kind of limit and assumed that was why
Brian bought 2 cf cards and an adapter to use both the CD and the IDE
connector on the superIDE.

> I ship with a 256MB just because it is a sweet size. 84MB partition for HDB-DOS and a 127MB partition for NitrOS-9, with another small partition with the remainder available. The reason for this is that there as several utilities under OS-9 that ASSUME a cluster size of one! Run those on a non 1 cluster size and POOF-BAM goes the drives structure. IMHO, not worth it. B&B are the biggest offender. Who would have thought we would be here today doing what we are doing? All GREAT tools, thus my basis of my partition sizes.
>
> How many people have more than 127MB of data/programs on their NitrOS-9 drive? Sure there are some. For those who want to have a 4GB partition, then you can do that on what ever size CF GREATER than that you select. Fill the 4GB partition up?? Not likely.

I've been using an old 64MB CF card I pulled out of a cisco router for
over a year, haven't filled it up yet!  Cards in the GB range are nice
but seem somewhat unnecessary.  Maybe I just don't use that much
software.  I only have 8 disks in the DECB area.  256MB seems very
reasonable for a nice DOS and OS9 system.