[Coco] Super IDE vs. Drive Pak

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:15:21 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:

> What I want is for Boisy to find a way to use the eprom space on the SuperIDE and modify HDB
> dos to work with the CF card and drivewire at the same time. :-)

I wanted something like this too and asked about it, but apparently
the only way to support multiple drive types like that is to use a 16k
rom.  HDBDOS is limited to an 8K rom for compatibility with all coco
models and software.  Boisy wasn't interested in going to a 16k rom
for those reasons.

Brett's CoCoBoot project is a nice workaround.  It is able to talk to
superide, floppy, drivewire, and more all at once and copy disks
between them.  it also can flash the rom slots in the superide,
pulling the rom image from any of the above.  lots of neat tricks.

-Aaron