[Coco] HP64000 was Re: LIF util for OS-9?

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 5 07:44:57 EDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 7:43 AM, Willard Goosey wrote:
> Sounds useful. Unfortunately all I have is the control board for an
> 8051 emulator. I'm glad to hear that the 64000 lived up to its hype in
> its day. From what I've read the 64000 had a pretty brief day in the
> sun, before they all got scraped or just used as dumb terminals. Willard

I worked at the HP Australian Telecoms Operation for a about 8 months
and they were using HP-UX boxes I think. I'm not sure if they were using
the HP64000 also. The two HP64000 machines we were using went into
retirement at RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) University.
The 8051 control board is probably not much use even if you had the
64000 as you'd need the software to drive it, which I guess is why you
wanted to know about the CPU in it.

You can get FPGA 8051 designs, and it would be possible to implement an
emulator for it in an FPGA if you were looking for an emulator. You
could do the same thing for the 6809.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au