[Coco] DE1 - More data

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon May 30 10:13:31 EDT 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 May 2011, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>>> one other thing that occurred to me.. originally you just needed to
>>> write the coco rom to the beginning of flash on the board, but at some
>>> point that changed and you need to write the coco rom, then
>>> immediately after that the DECB rom.  maybe you want to check that
>>> you've done that?  just an idea.
>>
>> No, good thought.  I'm going to try re-writing them, but it does appear that
>> both are in place.  When it powers up I see the HDB-DOS splash screen.  If
>> either or both of the images were missing, I do not think that would occur.
>>

> You mean you see the stock DECB message, not HDB-DOS, right?  If you
> are seeing HDBDOS, that would explain a lot, since it will not work at
> all on the FPGA board.  You need stock coco rom and stock decb rom.

Huh.  I've been flailing around so much that I must have loaded that one
by mistake.  But, it doesn't make any difference.  I replaced it with the
DECB rom image and still no go.

Now I'm not getting any communication from the DE1 at all under any
circumstance.  I'm beginning to reach the unfortunate conclusion that I'm
dealing with a hardware failure.  Tried both the serial port and the
USB-Serial adapter and it's just acting brain dead.

Of course the myriad of bitstream versions floating around with different
switch settings doesn't help.

Depressing.

Steve