[Coco] [!! SPAM] CoCoFest Online - For those that just simply could not go.

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 23 22:44:43 EDT 2011

I'm afraid I missed out on the live video link by Aaron. I did download
a 300MB video from Curtis Boyle's ftp site but it was a fixed camera and
didn't show any of the other tables there that I could see. I did skip
through the video though. I've enjoyed seeing the videos on YouTube by
Alan Huffman, they have been great, and I enjoyed seeing Gary's
CoCo3FPGA demo from last year. I even get a mentioned :-). I hope there
can be a video with edited highlights this year to see what is on display.

Living in Australia, it's a bit expensive to fly all the way to the US
to take part. I was hoping to get an FPGA MC-10 going for this year's
CoCo Fest, but I am involved with a number of local community
organizations and activities which have taken a lot of my time.

I was going to comment on Roger Taylor's comments about the Super IDE
and CF. I have implemented an IDE interface on some of my FPGA 6809
projects. The CF cards I was using did have a feature register that
allowed for 8 bit operation, but that was not present on most IDE hard
disks. Instead I used a 16 bit interface which latched the high or low
byte depending on whether you were doing a read or write. You could do
the same on the CoCo using a pair of 74HC646 bus registers and a 74HC139
or GAL for doing the address decoding and generating the bus register,
clock, enable and direction signals.

I wrote disk drivers for Flex9. I wrote a small X-Modem download routine
to program the CF card with a disk image. I think it was buffered, and
maybe even interrupt driven using the MC6850 compatible RS232 interface
so that the CF card had time to write the sector to flash memory. The CF
cards that I was using might have been limited to a 22bit LBA or 2GB
capacity using True IDE mode although ATA uses a 28 bit LBA which
extends the capacity to 128GB. The lower 4 bits of the head register
form the 4 Most Significant Bits of the LBA. True IDE must not have used
all the cylinder bits if it uses a 22bit LBA.

John.

http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent