[Coco] 68 Micro Journal

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed May 11 11:03:20 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:00:14 AM Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Wed, 11 May 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:39:31 AM Aaron Wolfe did opine:
> >> both of these files are in the torrent here.  maybe someone else who
> >> downloaded it can confirm that they have these files?
> >
> > Or, knowing that torrent pre-allocates the whole file, rechecks the
> > target file on a restart, if their file is sparse, they should
> > restart the torrent, causing it to recheck/compare, and fix any diffs
> > between the src file and the local copy.
>
> Actually, not all bittorrent clients pre-allocate files by default.
> This is particularly nasty when you download a DVD-sized ISO image with
> sparse allocation.  Even on a fast disk system, reads of such a
> fragmented image can be glacial.  The first time I ran into this, I
> thought my RAID array had died and gone into limp-home mode.  Took a
> while to figure out what was going on and turn on the "preallocate the
> entire thing" option.

There is quite likely that to contend with on some file systems.  You
didn't say what OS & filesystem you are running, but if its that bad, I
would change it forthwith.  Linux, with ext3 journaled, hasn't given me any
trouble in that regard.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)