[Coco] 68 Micro Journal

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed May 11 10:54:03 EDT 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011, gene heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:39:31 AM Aaron Wolfe did opine:
>
>> both of these files are in the torrent here.  maybe someone else who
>> downloaded it can confirm that they have these files?
>
> Or, knowing that torrent pre-allocates the whole file, rechecks the target
> file on a restart, if their file is sparse, they should restart the
> torrent, causing it to recheck/compare, and fix any diffs between the src
> file and the local copy.

Actually, not all bittorrent clients pre-allocate files by default.  This
is particularly nasty when you download a DVD-sized ISO image with sparse
allocation.  Even on a fast disk system, reads of such a fragmented image
can be glacial.  The first time I ran into this, I thought my RAID array
had died and gone into limp-home mode.  Took a while to figure out what
was going on and turn on the "preallocate the entire thing" option.