[Coco] Phoenix IDE gaining sprite/tiles/map editor

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 10 17:51:02 EDT 2011

 > With all that manual labor, you could use an IDE. :)
 >  Roger Taylor

The IDE is a collection of tools linked together that automate the
execution of certain development procedures.

You still have to slave over the design and creation of the game and
it's 6809 assembly language code. You still need to draw and create all
of the graphics.

This is the "manual labour" that you can't get away from... unless you
use a different programming environment/language.

I've never really ever had a "game engine" that I reuse in other games.
Each project has a different set of parameters and with each game, I am
learning new things, better techniques. You could say that I have
similar algorythyms and techniques, but they are are evolving and the
"engine" I taylor for each project.

The CoCo isn't fast enough to make a generalized engine that can be used
with a variety of different game genres. I can't use my Pacman engine
and use it in my Gate Crasher. They are very different. I code each
game, optimising it for that purpose. as best I can.

My current game in development is very different again. I could reuse
it's engine but it would be creating similar games. I like to vary
things, push the boundaries and explore new techniques within the
limitations of our 2Mhz 8 bit computer.

Nick Marentes