[Coco] Phoenix IDE gaining sprite/tiles/map editor

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Tue May 10 08:34:32 EDT 2011

Back in the early day of creating computer games, we did include the
graphics data code as part of the source code.  There was no graphics
support programs and would hand code the data statements.  (Well, there
was not much graphics in those first games.)

MicroPainter was first created to aid in the drawing the graphics for
the games.  Since I did not want to hand code the growing graphics data,
I wrote a program that convert into the data source code. Remember, with
the 4-color graphics mode of the CoCo 1/2 used 4 shifted images for
every moving graphics.  This was starting to become a great deal of data
to assemble every time.

The next step was to have my graphics utility built the reference data
(look-up tables) as part graphics data. (The game code only needs to
link into the tables to find the right graphic image to draw.)  Even the
graphic's object animation (walk left, stand, jump, ect) was controlled
by data tables inside this block of graphics data.  Since all this data
was self-contained, it could be a standalone binary block of data to
load and no longer part of the source code.  This offloading of graphics
data help speed up the code writing cycle since most of the source had
become mostly graphics data.

In the final days of CoCo work, I was using PC for the graphics (sprite,
tile/map and fonts), the Amiga for sound and the CoCo for creating the
source code.  This IDE took 5 computers to get the job done and boy did
the office get warm.

We can't use the graphic utility from when I was writing CoCo games.
(It's too old and I can't find them.)  But a modern version could be
written.  While I could write it under windows, maybe a web app could
work in this modern day?  I will have to look into it.

The bottom line, I need to come up with a modern graphics utility before
I can write a new game for the CoCo.

Steve Bjork