[Coco] dbg.l

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri May 6 18:17:17 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 10:19:05AM -0700, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> As OS-9 "C" is just K&R it must have been done on other platforms.

LEX and YACC originated under UNIX.

They don't produce standalone code -- each has a library of support
functions that the resulting code needs.

> Are you saying something like an Urbane (DECB) to K&R "C", BasicO9 ...
> could be done automagically.

Well, not really automagically.  They are as fussy about their input as
any other compiler and can be a pain to debug,  but they do take a LOT
of work out of building a compiler or interpeter.

Building recursive-descent parsers by hand is not my idea of a fun time.
;-)

> It was so far into my distant past that I misunderstood 'lint'.

lint is like GCC's -WALL, except it's for K&R code, which makes its job
even harder. :-)

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA