[Coco] CoCo Video Player

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 00:51:46 EDT 2011

In today's CoCo community, most of us are doing project for the sheer
joy of exploring what we can do with the machine.  Not every project
needs to explore new ground or push the CoCo to the edge, sometimes
instead it's great fun to explore the limits of our own knowledge and
personal skill.

It's sort of like hunting with a bow and arrow, sure there are more
efficient and more accurate ways to hunt, but there is a pleasure in
developing one's skill to the point where you can be accurate with the
simple weapon.  Even hunting with modern weapons is (usually)
constrained by the concept of being "fair" and success that comes from
one's own skill is prized over results that come from advanced
technology.

In the commercial environment of the CoCo's heyday, it made sense to
use any tools available.   The boss doesn't care if you wrote amazing
code, he cares if you turned out something that will sell.  Sometimes
the two can be combined, but often due to time and budget constraints,
it would make good sense to take advantage of any tool, any other
computer system that can do anything useful that you can get your
hands on, even if the results are not perfect. There is little desire
for a product that is optimized beyond the minimum to sell.
Programming is seen as an expense, a cost to production, not as an art
or even as a skill in many cases.

In my own CoCo projects, I am often faced with a choice of "Do it real
quickly on a modern PC" or "Do it the hard/right way on the CoCo".
Where to draw that line can be a difficult decision, but I almost
always find it more rewarding in the end to keep everything on the
CoCo that can be done there even when it takes more "work" (if playing
on a CoCo can be called work :)  For John's video player, some aspects
like encoding the video just can't be moved to the CoCo side, or
rather they probably could be but it would take some years to run,
making it impractical.  That's where modern technology can still be
used to "play fair" in my opinion.. the challenge wasn't to encode
some video, it was to be able to play any full screen video,
regardless of format.

$0.02
-Aaron