[Coco] CoCo Video Player

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Mar 17 11:25:34 EDT 2011

Steve's slams aside (come on Steve, show at least a -little- love! :) ),
I have to say I too was impressed that it was able to do as much as it
could. Roger's comment of "proves that software is more powerful than
hardware" is spot on, but it also says something else:

What are we missing today? What will we see tomorrow?

The only reason such "video" was "impossible" back around 1986-1991 was
mainly because:

a) "we" didn't have the software chops or knowledge of 20-odd extra years
b) we didn't have the storage that video requires

Even if we had "a", "b" would've ultimately prevented it, but there are
a ton of things we have seen since Radio Shack stopped making the CoCo 3
that -would- have been doable, had we had the knowledge of how to code
it properly (things like "Gate Crasher", the other various and myriad
demo code out there, etc). One we "had" - but the opportunity was
dreadfully missed (the 256 color artifact mode); the original find was
published in the "wrong" magazine, instead of the Rainbow, and the one
article about using the 640x192 color mode to gain more colors focused
on color blending, and no one seemed to think about artifact colors on a
TV (I played with the code in that article a lot - but mainly only on my
CM-8!). I think maybe a lot of people missed it, because most were
enamored of switching from a TV/composite monitor to a "crisp" RGB
monitor...

So - what kind of super-duper things are we missing today, that we just
can't "see" for one reason or another; what are the things that are
"obvious" - right in front of our faces, that we'll hit our foreheads in
20 years and think "duh!"?

Of course this is unanswerable, but it is something I find fascinating
to think about - mainly because if you are able to think of such a
thing, it's like pulling the future closer to the present (though you
really haven't changed anything - since it was possible for you to think
about it, it becomes today's tech, not tomorrow's, so there are still
"obvious" things out there!).

I really wonder about how much power is wasted in today's PCs and
machines; how much every year society throws away into the "garbage"
computing power we almost would've killed for 20 years ago. Today, it's
seen as nearly worthless by most, even though we know by this CoCo video
player demonstration that the real power hasn't even been touched...

Ah well.

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona