[Coco] Need help using ram drive as default drive

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jun 22 00:13:30 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:27:49 PM Vanderberg Family did opine:

> yes, sysgo is in both /d0 which is /dd and /r0 just in case something
> works & it looks there.
>
> I saw some of your posts about modifying init & tried changing /dd to
> /d0 in both init and sysgo where I also found it.  I attempted to boot
> with each single change with all else the same and also with both files
> modded.  As far as I could tell, there was no diff in behavior or boot
> failure regardless of the permutation.  Both files are back to orig.
> Any hints for the next step?
>
> Understand I am way beyond my knowledge level here, but that just makes
> it more fun.

1. I would delete SysGo from the /d0 disk just to make sure it is getting
Sysgo from /ddr0. Or alternatively, rename the startup file on the ramdisk,
and edit that SysGo to use the new name.  Then the message as to which it
is actually running can be incorporated into /d0/startup and /dd/stertup.

Actually, one could rename SysGo on the ramdisk, then change init to use
the new name.  The idea is to be able to differentiate.  Init however is
part of the os9boot file.

Humm, if you are seeing SysGo and then the init tracing string, then you
obviously have sysgo in the boot file, which is not required and wastes
system ram.  Take it out of the bootfile and put customized copies in the
root of /d0 and /dd.

The boot device assignment is first done in init, then a few seconds later,
when SysGo runs, then it can also change the default device.  I boot from
/d0, and let the init module put me on /dd, so it is the SysGo on /dd that
I use.

If your ramdisk is truly non-volatile, much as a compact flash is, then it
should Just Work(TM).

However, this is dirt I've not walked on before because the ramdisk I use
is myram, which I wrote, but its 100% volatile as it is using some of the 2
megs in my coco3.  Theoretically I could re-write that to recover what was
copied there before, but I would need some method of detecting if this boot
was the result of a reset tap, or if its a fresh powerup.  As is, the first
access of any kind actually formats myram (takes just a few milliseconds)
and any previous data stored there is thrown away.

But I haven't done that as a long tap on the reset messes with the dram
refresh & the data is lost anyway. :-(