[Coco] [Color Computer] c64 taking making a comback!?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 01:20:43 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Steve Bjork <6809er at srbsoftware.com> wrote:
> On 6/9/2011 11:56 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> Yes, this is the crux of it.   The emulator based coco 4 sounds great,
>> but all it can actually provide is theories and speculation.
>> The FPGA based coco 4 is sitting on my desk and providing me with
>> quite a good bit of fun right now, for less than $200.
>>
> I've got a software emulator on my computer and its providing me with a bit
> of fun, and it did not cost me $200 for special hardware to buy.
>
> But that's the real crux of it.
>
> One more thing, I glad there is choices!

While you and I agree on many things, I don't think it's going to
happen easily here.  Emulators are fine if you don't need to connect
peripherals and you aren't interested in things like new
hardware/video modes, etc.  I use MESS myself for debugging, its very
nice for that kind of thing.

However, to discount the FPGA's ability to do things that emulators
currently cannot, because theoretically someday an emulator might do
them better, seems silly.   The chances of any emulator ever catching
up to what CoCo3FPGA is already doing right now are slim.  Emulators
with hardware cards and new features are fun to think about, but they
don't exist.  FPGA project is alive and advancing right now, taking
the coco to new places and preserving it beyond the lifetime of the
original hardware.  It's an exciting time to be a coconut.