[Coco] New thread, cga-rgb->vga convertor GBS-8220

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 28 19:20:06 EDT 2011

On 29/07/2011 3:09 AM, Mark Marlette wrote:

> All good input, thanks! Which raises a question......If the design only
> needs these base files. Which I know to be true because of the way you
> create new projects based upon older designs.Why do they then import the
> database files? Pin files, etc as I know it ARE NOT in the DB files.

Not quite sure what you're referring to exactly... though we haven't
actually upgraded to v11 yet (on the tail end of a large project, you don't
change the build tools!).

I've been using Quartus since before v5.0 (the major version represents the
year it was released), and upgraded through every version since, and I don't
recall it converting databases. It does, however, detect an old database and
asks about *overwriting* it...

The only conversion it needs to do is update/overwrite obsolete lines in the
.qsf (constraints) file. Other than that, everything else can be deleted and
re-generated.

BTW v10.0 was a major rewrite; they migrated to a cross-platform GUI and as
a result the GUI functionality actually took a step backwards in some
respects. Hopefully they've continued to refine it and add back the missing
features (and fix the annoying HDL editor issues) in v11.x?!?

Another 'tip' : our FAE told us to skip the ".0" releases. YMMV.

> They all say the same...Once
> you got it, it is great, just getting there can be challenging.

Yup, with them on that one too! :)

Regards,