[Coco] CF and SD life expectancy

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 24 21:34:40 EDT 2011

On 25/07/2011 11:13 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> It's the "could" part that I'd like to see demonstrated. Not that I don't
> believe a memory card has a life span like all the other types of media, but
> I think some people worry far too much over this issue.

That's just it though - people will worry more about the 'could' if it
pertains to their entire collection, rather than 4 games... regardless of
the realities.

> I'm more worried about why my DVDs and CDs just quit working one day when
> there has been no abuse, no warping, no mishandling, no scratching of any
> sort, and why a spindle of brand new expensive dual-layer DVDs bought at
> Wal-Mart almost always contains 2 glitch discs.

I have CDs burned less than 10 years ago that I can't read. I have DVDs
burned less than 5 years ago that I can't read. I have a spindle of DVDs
that I bought about 2 years ago that mostly won't burn at all.

I'd *never* trust any archival function to optical media atm. I'm really
hanging on some sort of 100% reliable, permanent archival medium, because
even backing up to two HDD still makes me nervous! :(

Regards,