[Coco] CF and SD life expectancy

Roger Taylor taylor at newfoal.com
Sun Jul 24 21:13:44 EDT 2011

At 07:41 PM 7/24/2011, you wrote:
>On 25/07/2011 9:43 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:
>
>>We've dealt with flakey floppy disks since 1980 and now memory cards are far
>>more reliable, yet we worry more.
>
>I agree, but the problem is that a corrupt floppy disk would result
>in you losing a handful of programs, whilst a dead DC/CF could mean
>your entire collection is gone!
>
>Mind you, it's also likely you'd have at least 2 copies stored on
>various hard drives as well.. ;)
>
>Regards,

It's the "could" part that I'd like to see demonstrated.  Not that I
don't believe a memory card has a life span like all the other types
of media, but I think some people worry far too much over this issue.

I'm more worried about why my DVDs and CDs just quit working one day
when there has been no abuse, no warping, no mishandling, no
scratching of any sort, and why a spindle of brand new expensive
dual-layer DVDs bought at Wal-Mart almost always contains 2 glitch
discs.  Those are the discs that when held up to a light clearly show
that the some of the inner layer was screwed up during manufacturing,
and can't be formatted.

I love memory cards.  :)

--
~ Roger Taylor