[Coco] CF and SD life expectancy

Roger Taylor taylor at newfoal.com
Sun Jul 24 19:43:58 EDT 2011

At 04:31 PM 7/24/2011, you wrote:
>Interesting. Cross posted from the BBC-Micro mailing list.
>
>QUOTE:
>Most of the consumer-grade CF and SD cards you can buy today are
>probably using MLC flash which requires fairly careful supervision
>if you want your data to stay intact.  In particular, each block of
>MLC can only be read from a certain number of times before it needs
>to be erased and rewritten. There's also the wear-levelling issue
>which is more severe with MLC because the write cycle endurance of
>each block is less than SLC by about a factor of 10.
>
>That's not to say that it's necessarily impossible to make a
>reliable card out of MLC, but it requires a fairly sophisticated
>controller and my experience has been that a lot of the lower-end
>cards either don't have the right level of technology for that, or
>haven't been appropriately tested and don't actually work
>correctly.  On some of the cards we tested recently at work, just
>reading from the same file a couple of thousand times would cause
>the data to gradually become corrupt.
>/QUOTE
>
>Remember that NitrOS9 reads the first sector and the File Allocation
>sectors *frequently*.
>
>Regards, Bob Devries
>Dalby, QLD, Australia
>
>--

We've dealt with flakey floppy disks since 1980 and now memory cards
are far more reliable, yet we worry more.  So once every 3 years or
so you can run a sector refresher over the entire card or just clone
the card onto a new one.  They're cheaper than a bag of potato chips.

Why not just test your theory with a looping BASIC program that reads
LSN0 forever until you get corrupt sector data, and post what the
read count was.  Do the same with a write/read test to LSN0 on
another card and post your results.  With a program running around
the clock, it shouldn't take long to solve this mystery.  Also take
note of the date/time so we can estimate the lifespan we can expect
from typical usage on the CoCo.

--
~ Roger Taylor