[Coco] CF and SD life expectancy

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 17:31:19 EDT 2011

Interesting. Cross posted from the BBC-Micro mailing list.

QUOTE:
Most of the consumer-grade CF and SD cards you can buy today are probably
using MLC flash which requires fairly careful supervision if you want your
data to stay intact.  In particular, each block of MLC can only be read from
a certain number of times before it needs to be erased and rewritten.
There's also the wear-levelling issue which is more severe with MLC because
the write cycle endurance of each block is less than SLC by about a factor
of 10.

That's not to say that it's necessarily impossible to make a reliable card
out of MLC, but it requires a fairly sophisticated controller and my
experience has been that a lot of the lower-end cards either don't have the
right level of technology for that, or haven't been appropriately tested and
don't actually work correctly.  On some of the cards we tested recently at
work, just reading from the same file a couple of thousand times would cause
the data to gradually become corrupt.
/QUOTE

Remember that NitrOS9 reads the first sector and the File Allocation sectors
*frequently*.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia