[Coco] TTL levels and the bit banger port.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jul 23 19:58:49 EDT 2011

On Saturday, July 23, 2011 07:52:52 PM RJRTTY at aol.com did opine:

> In a message dated 7/23/2011 2:20:22 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
>
> gheskett at wdtv.com writes:
> >My card could make a  25 volt p-p 50 kilohertz sine wave with no
> >evidence
>
> of
>
> >slew rate limits,  but the EMP from a nearby lightning strike, coming
> >back into the outputs  would kill it almost every time.  Now we're
> >digital,
>
> lots
>
> >less  trouble.
>
> Hey all the alarms at the plant where I worked were once copper wires
> stretching the length of the facility.   EVERY time a strong
> electrical storm hit us I would make a trip into town to pickup
> a hand full of the lamp driver chips that were on the receiving
> end of the alarm panel.   Now everything is fiber optics  and
> life is a lot more boring and I couldn't be happier.....
>
> Roy

The moral of the story is that security people should set the target of
what it is supposed to do, then take a 90 day sabatical while technical
folks actually build it so it doesn't self destruct when exposed to the
real world.  That method of course will be introduced 2 weeks after the
first pig takes off on the runways formed on the brimstone lakes when hell
freezes over.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The wages of sin are high but you get your money's worth.