[Coco] CoCo 3 to RBG...

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jul 20 18:38:18 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 06:20:39 PM Steve Batson did opine:

> Mounting aside, have you tested the board and got it working with the
> CoCo 3 RGB out fed into any of the ports? If I do find something before
> you, I'll let you know.

Short answer, no.  Where I'm working on it in my garage is a long way to
its PSU & the rest of the kit in the basement.  I first need to get it
mounted so as not to short something out, so it will not get powered until
attached to the bottom of the sandwich.  And that's 15 minutes here, and 15
minutes there because my garage is also the assembly/finish area for a set
of 8 storage boxes I am making for the next door neighbor, which will also
double as seating around their 1/4 acre dining room table.  They are all
cut out, and I now have the 5th one about glued up & finished.  One, maybe
two more coats of Sam's recipe, to which I have added a bit of stain, and
that one will be ready to carry up the hill.  In the meantime the 6th one
is being glued up slowly.

Yeah, it keeps me out of the bars but this has turned into a bigger project
than I envisioned, primarily because of the difficulty in making stain work
on wormy poplar.  Natively, it has extreme color variations & it takes real
care to stain it so as to override its greenish tint.  Tough, strong wood,
but the first coat of finish absolutely must be a couple coats of 1 to 2
pound cut shellac to seal it so stains don't soak into it like a desk
blotter.  Once that's done, then you can wipe the Sam's on & start tinting
it till you get roughly the right color.  Sometimes 7 to 10 coats to get it
right. About 18 hours a coat polymerizing time.  Dry in 3 hours, but not
hard enough to re-coat till about 18 to 24 hours, so it's a slow process.

Next time I go back to white ash, even if I have to drive to NY to get it.
My local sawyer only has it in 1" thickness & a tabletop needs more.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The Army needs leaders the way a foot needs a big toe.
		-- Bill Murray