[Coco] World's most expensive Coco RGB -> VGA adapter?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 19 18:58:26 EDT 2011

On 20/07/2011 1:27 AM, Andrew wrote:

> What do you figure would be the price point, approximately, Mark? Is it too
> early to ask that?

I don't have a feel for the price atm, to be honest.

Whilst we did the design, our client suggested the main components, and they
also handled all the part sourcing and manufacturing, so we didn't really
get involved in any of the pricing.

The design has 2x FPGAs, DDR2, 64-bit wide DDR3, DVI RX & TX and analogue
video input. A cut down version could probably eliminate 1 FPGA, DDR2 or 3,
DVI RX to begin with. The video memory bandwidth was designed to handle
mixing 2x streams at least 1920x1200, which is way overkill for any (single
stream) of retro micro video. But it would be a complete re-spin and a
pretty complex board (10 layers?). Funnily enough the 1st rev was less than
half the size, only 1 FPGA, but no analogue (IIRC) - and 18 layers!!! :O

When I know more I'll let you know. I would seriously like to produce such a
board, and perhaps our client may be interested in some sort of joint venture?!?

> but I also have a couple Amigas
> - and while my 1084S is still running - though its been a while since I last
> powered it up - it would be nice to have another option...

I've got a busy day today, but tomorrow I'll try to post a few shots of the
Amiga running on it! I'm in the process of producing cables for all my
micros to test them out...

Regards,