[Coco] CoCo 3 to RBG...

Mark Ormond markormond at mtxsystems.com
Sun Jul 10 20:48:58 EDT 2011

A lot of people have tried this with their amigas and most tvs only handle 31.5k and above on the vga inputs.
I have a old cornea tv that does do it, but that is the only one I have found.

Later,
dabone

gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

On Sunday, July 10, 2011 08:07:34 PM Steve Batson did opine:

> I know a lot of this has been talked about here and there is info spread
> around the web about CoCo 3 to VGA, etc. I just want to make sure when I
> start looking, I'm looing for the right product in the right places. I
> actually had a Magnavox Monitor with RGB and Composite Inputs that I
> used up until today when it decided to die. I knew it was only a matter
> of time, the monitor has been packed up and through a few moves.
> Anyway, The Coco 3 is now plugged into a TV with Composite inputs. I
> would like to investigate getting one of the converters that would let
> me plug it into an LCD monitor I have. Recommendations on what to get
> and where. I'd also consder trying to build one if someone knows where
> to find the info and parts list.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Steve

Here is something one might try.  I originally bought a pair of Samsung 22"
lcd hidef tv's when the switchover here in the states was about a week old,
one for my bedroom and one for the missus.  That one ran 24/7, and is one
of the reasons we don't generally sleep together, the constant flashing of
scene changes and the muttering of the audio (till the commercial comes on,
cranked up 20 #^%# db) keeps me awake.  Anyway the one I bought her lost
its tuner & that made it into a great computer monitor.  And I know for a
fact that it can display ntsc video as its twin does yet today, there is a
Clarksburg HD->nstc translator, a 10 watter whose output is on ch22, that I
get from about 21 miles away and after dark it is a clean enough signal to
watch with my off-air antenna.

So I am wondering what happens when you wire a cable to feed that monitors
vga input directly from the coco3's rgb output?  Would the coco's lack of
interlace doom that?  There really isn't any good reason it wouldn't work
unless Samsung went out of their way to disable it from the vga socket, and
I can't see any good business reason they would disable it.  What would it
cost, maybe a $10 bill in parts & an hours research to look up the pin
assignments?

That isn't saying it would work with the average 'computer' monitor, but
with an LCD TV that does have a vga input?  Someone should give it a try.
And of course report back. ;)

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Measure twice, cut once.