[Coco] Who needs Debuggers was: Re: Strange behavior in MESS

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Thu Jul 7 14:04:09 EDT 2011

On 2011-07-07 11:43, John Donaldson wrote:
> Debuggers are good for working on existing code that you are working on. IMHO,
> they are no good for code your developing. Here at work we are working on code
> that none of us have seen and has not been worked on in years. So running the
> debugger alows us to see what the code is doing. If your developing code then
> you already know what it does because you already have it fixed in your mind.

Actually, that last bit can be a source of problems when debugging. If
you have it fixed in your mind, you might not actually see the thing
that is misbehaving because you "know" how it works. (Been there, done
that.) Sometimes, seeing it run in the debugger under a single step or
similar is enough to reset the neural pathways so you can actually see
the error.

Otherwise, in general, running for the debugger first rather than
thinking about and studying the code is usually much less efficient.
Personally, I use such things as a last resort when I'm stuck.