[Coco] How much of a CoCo makes it a CoCo?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jul 7 09:33:41 EDT 2011

On 07/06/2011 10:22 PM, Alan Bryan wrote:
> To me, its a CoCo if it was released in the 80's or early 90's and its
> mentioned at least three times in a Rainbow magazine or Hot CoCo magazine.

Well, by that logic a TC-9, an MM/1, a Delmar System IV, and even a
Tandy 1000 qualify as a CoCo, but a new circuit board that runs DECB and
NitrOS-9 doesn't.  You might even find three references to the Macintosh
in Rainbow, and I'm almost certain there were even ads for non-Tandy IBM
compatibles.  Hmm.  I think I'd define it a different way.  I've got a
TC-9, an MM/1, several Tandy 1000s, and a CoCo3FPGA.  Of all of them,
the one most like a CoCo is CoCo3FPGA, in my opinion.  The CoCo didn't
die when Rainbow ceased publication!

JCE