[Coco] CoCo3FPGA, FPGA Development, and GIME replacement

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 7 06:02:20 EDT 2011

No need to waste discussion about a case.

All I would suggest is that if/when a CoCo4 board is made, it should be
designed to fit within a CoCo3 case as a drop in replacement.

For those that would prefer another case, just mount the same board in
another case.

The CoCo4 would only be a mainboard, the end user decides if he wants to
put it in a CoCo case, PC case, or stand alone.

The CoCo3+ would be a CoCo3 with most of the add-ons that people include
such as 1/2Mb RAM, IDE interface maybe real serial I/O.

So a CoCo4 would include this plus a few more, namely... More colors,
VGA output, Faster 6809/6309 cpu etc.

USB, ethernet I wouldn't waste design time to include. Instead, make
them as plug in addon via a bus connection.  Make the board achievable
and low cost. For those that want more, wait and buy the upcoming add-on
board (superboard?).

That's my 21.35647 cents worth