[Coco] How much of a CoCo makes it a CoCo?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 19:00:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark McDougall wrote:
>
>> IMHO, if it can still run Coco 3 software, it's still a Coco 3.
>
> You may want to add "natively" in there. By that statement, my PC is a Coco3
> since it runs coco 3 software albeit in an emulator.

To me, it needs to "feel" like a CoCo, which is difficult to put into
words.  Something special, you know when you have it, and you know
when it's missing.  Emulators don't feel right, I've tried them all,
and I use them in writing software for the CoCo, but even that doesn't
feel right until the software is running on a real CoCo.  The
CoCo3FPGA gives me the same happy smile that a CoCo always does, it
just feels right.  Even though it isn't completely cycle accurate and
can't interface with every piece of CoCo hardware (yet?), it's a CoCo
to me.