[Coco] How much of a CoCo makes it a CoCo?

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Jul 6 18:15:52 EDT 2011

My point in bringing up these questions is to identify where the consensus lies.

I believe that once we replace the main board with something like an FPGA-based board, it becomes a CoCo 3+ or a CoCo 4 (I'm ambivalent to either).

I think a dream CoCo 3+ would be preserving the exterior (case, keyboard, etc), removing the power supply and motherboard, and in its place, have an FPGA-based board.  Analog RGB would be replaced with a 15 pin VGA connector coming out where the composite audio/video ports are now (no composite audio/video support would be warranted.)   The serial I/O jack could still be there, as well as the joystick ports, but the cassette could go.  The reset and power buttons would remain.  Where the 3-4 modulator hole is we could put something, and the 3-4 channel switch would remain but would serve an entirely different purpose.

And of course, the 40 pin cartridge connector would still be there.

Best Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/