[Coco] CoCo3FPGA, FPGA Development, and GIME replacement

Wed Jul 6 18:28:23 EDT 2011

Hi,

The good news is that the escape codes used for OS-9 Windowing have used
little of the graphics address space.

> So maybe a FPGA CoCo should also have a custom 6809/6309 core with a 32bit
> address line?

That's what would be discovered with a deep analysis and an emulator that
could be configured to look at the possibilities. And learn what parts of
the software need to be changed.

Perhaps just the Windowing system needs to switch to 32 addresses.

The 64K limit comes into play in many places

Some of us would have fun just using a bigger graphics canvas with more
colors even if no hardware was ever available.

It's great that more colors can be added, the hardware folks are doing
great.

But I see NO sign that the software folks are doing anything (Well except
for one very private project.).

Without software, the hardware is just a PG&E dummy load.

SHF