[Coco] CoCo3FPGA, FPGA Development, and GIME replacement

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 6 17:45:31 EDT 2011

 > Does the DICTATOR sound any better now?

Before there is a Dictator, there is a Leader. A good Leader knows his
boundaries and avoids stepping into the "Dark Side".   :)

 > Adding colors, a larger screen size and other features will run up
against
 > the 64K limit in several ways.
 > With a 6x09 processor it may not be possible to bypass it.

I agree with you here. Even developing big graphics games on the CoCo3,
the 64K barrier is a problem. A big speed increase can be had if one
didn't have to shuffle 8K MMU blocks around just to access 512K or more.
I'm sure it would help with OS-9 too in a big way.

So maybe a FPGA CoCo should also have a custom 6809/6309 core with a
32bit address line?

Nick