[Coco] CoCo3FPGA, FPGA Development, and GIME replacement

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:43:40 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Leonard Miller <leonard23 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I have been following the discussions about the CoCo3FPGA for some time.  If
> I was to purchase a FPGA board which one should I get?  I know that the FPGA
> boards are boards that allow the user to use software to program hardware,
> but that's about it.  I believe the guys working with this use a couple
> different boards?  This would be a HUGE endeavor on my part, but it might be
> fun to learn something new as long as I don't get overwhelmed doing it:-)!
> >From what I've seen so far; I can use a current computer monitor, but what
> about storage?  Can the board interface to an IDE type drive?  How do I move
> software back and forth between what I currently have (coco3), and the
> board.  Also, what type of power supply do I need to power the board?

Most of us use the Altera DE1 board.  Google will help you find
distributors.  It's about $150. The DE1 runs off USB power or the
included wall wart.  It includes VGA output.  You'll also need a ps/2
type keyboard.

Currently storage is implemented using DriveWire (
http://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/ ), which will also talk to
your CoCo 3, and you can share disk images between them.  There has
been discussion about using the built in SD card reader under OS9, but
it is not available right now.