[Coco] [!! SPAM] Re: Cococompatible monitors...

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 5 10:04:55 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, July 05, 2011 09:50:20 AM John Kent did opine:

> On 5/07/2011 3:36 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > And this DE1 board I assume has a cost of?  URL please John.
> >
> > Cheers, gene
>
> Terasic DE1 is here:
> http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?No=83

No doubt capable, but way too big to hide in a cc3 unless the whole coco
was emulated.

> It uses an Altera Cyclone II.
> It's what Gary uses for his CoCo3FPGA.
>
> He has also used the Digilent Spartan 3 starter board in the past too
> using the Xilinx 1000Kgate Spartan 3
> http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Prod=S3BOARD

That maybe could be hidden under the keyboard.  With a vga output no less.

Would I have to run the development system on windows?  If yes, no deal.

> There is also a 200Kgate version of the board, which is not big enough
> for the CoCo3FPGA, but is big enough for a basic 6809 system with UART,
> VDU, Timer, PS/2 keyboard, monitor ROM  and 1MB of SRAM.
>
> The 1000Kgate Spartan 3 chip has the same FT256 BGA package as the 200K
> gate part I think.
>
> There is also the XuLA board which has a 50Kgate or 200Kgate Spartan 3A
> that fits on a 40 pin header and has 4MWords x 16 bits of SDRAM.
> http://www.xess.com/prods/prod048.php

For about 90 bucks and some time, that looks like a usable gizmo.  IIRC,
the development stuff for xilinx is nearly free, so that, and custom made
breakout cables might add a lot of functionality to a coco3.

> There are a number of other Xilinx boards from Digilent Inc. and others.
>
> Digilent is to Xilinx what Terasic is to Altera.
>
> There are pictures of the FPGA boards I use on my FPGA page:
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent/FPGA.htm
bookmarked.

Thanks John.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
In specifications, Murphy's Law supersedes Ohm's.