[Coco] NTSC CoCo 3's Composite Video Signal

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Jul 1 21:50:20 EDT 2011

Mark Ormond's recent message about an SVGA LCD monitor that might work
with the CoCo 3 reminded me that I have a little 5" NTSC-compatible LCD
monitor designed for the Nintendo Gamecube that I got for the purpose of
using with the CoCo 3 and other old machines.  It works OK, but with the
CoCo 3 it has a problem where large areas of white on the screen will
cause the picture to tear, and even with the brightness turned all the
way down on the monitor the black level is too high.

Is it likely that the CoCo 3's composite video signal is at too high a
level?  Would it make sense to put a resistor in there?

Even with the problems it has, I was able to run my 8-bit artifact color
demo and confirm that the LCD does display the artifact colors, so at
least some of the artifact effect is due to the NTSC encoding.  The
colors do look better on a TV than on the LCD, but I would be interested
to see if dimming the CoCo's video signal would improve things on the
LCD.  It may also be that the RF modulation on the TV further blurs the
colors together and makes them look more natural.

JCE