[Coco] backups and stuff was Re: basic09 - append to file

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Jan 15 03:04:36 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 07:03:03PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> I was guessing, the numbers you get from a free /device need massaging to
> make human readable decimal numbers and I was using pure SWAG's. ;-)

Heh, yeah, that's part of OS-9's charm and also kind of annoying, that
most of the "dir" type utils (including fstat) and free don't report
in the same unit.  It can be irratating to figure out if the floppy
has room for a given file. ;-)

I have a script for checking my IDE drive that prints how many
megabytes of free space are left:

free /dd ! grep Free ! bawk -d, -f "sdc -e $1$2 4096 /="

1 sector clusters, obviously.  And sdc is the floating-point RPN
calculator from K&R, with an added option to use the command line for
input.

> That compression is because there are lots of files that consist of the fd
> sector, and less than a sector of data.  bru compresses the fd sectors
> away, only storing the file, with a min allocation of one sector IIRC.

Hah, yes, many many little files all over the place!

> Always did to me too.  OTOH, leaving the sas set to some huge number
> doesn't really waste a lot of disk space because its all corrected to be
> just what the file occupies when the closing code is executed.

No, a large sas is good on hard drives, keeps fragmentation to a minimum.

> But after the crash, or the rooting as the case may be, his site was rooted
> once too.

I don't believe much was really lost when rtsi crashed.  Not compared
to chestnut going away, anyway.  But yes, we can only hope Roger
Taylor keeps good backups because his site seems to attract
script-kiddies. :-(

> Emails to Allen B., occasionally they work. ;(

Yeah, he's not really super-responsive, is he?  Hopefully that means
he's busy earning money so his company won't go away.

Wilalrd
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard