[Coco] terrifying sysadmins for fun with UUCP was Re: old backups, RESTORED!

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 7 18:54:56 EST 2011

On Friday, January 07, 2011 06:45:43 pm Willard Goosey did opine:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 05:41:14PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > Be careful & don't step on it or kick it.  I've used the 1984 time
> > frame for that and been called a liar by many.  It was 85 when I
> > discovered os9, and I was off the the races.
>
> Actually, I think I said "the early 80's" which is comfortably vague.
> I know LII goes back to 86-ish.  Back when the CoCo was a current
> product I was a BASIC boy, I never could have convinced Dad to buy
> software that cost as much as the computer did. :-(
>
> But at least my sysadmin didn't give me The Look he used when I told
> him about setting up UUCP so my 3b1 could trade email with my Linux
> boxes.  He's a Model 100 nut so he's not completely unsympathetic, but
> he does have limits. ;-)  He gets this wonderful look of abject terror
> when I say things like "I wonder if Taylor UUCP has been compiled for
> MS-DOS with a packet driver."
>
> Humm, I wonder if Rick Adam's UUCP would work over a Drivewire 4
> network link....  HDB config files aren't *that* obscure... :-)
>
> Hehehe!
> Willard

Hehe.  I'll 2nd that.  And no they aren't.  It takes a while to grok them,
but with enough connecting of the dots, its pretty much all there.

I've been toying with the idea of setting up the dw4 stuffs here, but the
one question I've asked, is one no one has hazarded a guess answer, a SWAG
if you will, of how long I can make one of those cables and expect it to
work.  I can't get the run down to any great amount less than 25 feet here
without re-arranging the whole house and still get it to work at at least
230k.  At that length, we definitely have a transmission line that might
have to have active drivers and active terms on both ends.

Anybody want to offer a SWAG?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)